Men’s World Number One Tests Positive for COVID-19

Dustin Johnson in PGA Tour Championships
Dustin Johnson of the United States reacts after chipping in on the eighth hole during the second round of the TOUR Championship at East Lake Golf Club on September 05, 2020 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Sam Greenwood/Getty Images)

The PGA Tour has had its highest possible COVID-19 positive with the news that World Number 1 Dustin Johnson has tested positive to the virus and has withdrawn from an upcoming tournament.

In a statement from the PGA Tour, it was stated that Johnson had been experiencing COVID-19 symptoms so he notified officials who then administered a test, with the positive result forcing his withdrawal from The CJ Cup @ Shadow Creek event which begins on Thursday.

“Johnson, who last competed at the U.S. Open, will have the PGA Tour’s full support throughout his self-isolation period under CDC guidelines,” said the statement.

“Obviously, I am very disappointed,” said Johnson in the statement.

“I was really looking forward to competing this week, but will do everything I can to return as quickly as possible.

“I have already had a few calls with the Tour’s medical team and appreciate all the support and guidance they have given me.”

This is the second-straight week a top-20 player has been forced to withdraw because of COVID-19, however. Last week at the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open, it was Tony Finau.

Advertisement
Subscribe to our newsletter